What is involved in Information technology operations
Find out what the related areas are that Information technology operations connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Information technology operations thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Information technology operations journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Information technology operations leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Information technology operations related domains to cover and 170 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Information technology operations, Configuration management database, Continuous delivery, Continuous integration, Database administrator, Event monitoring, Help desk, IT asset management, IT governance, IT infrastructure, IT service management, Information technology, Infrastructure as Code, Issue tracking system, Maintenance, repair and operations, Network administrator, Network switch, On call shift, Operations management, Software build, Software deployment, Software development process, Software release life cycle, Software testing, System administrator, Technical support, Test automation:
Information technology operations Critical Criteria:
Think carefully about Information technology operations quality and test out new things.
– Do the Information technology operations decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– Is the scope of Information technology operations defined?
– What is Effective Information technology operations?
Configuration management database Critical Criteria:
Start Configuration management database decisions and be persistent.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Information technology operations. How do we gain traction?
– Which of the itil processes is responsible for ensuring the organization is aware of new and changing technology?
– What information does Configuration Management provide to the it management of an organization?
– Which data is least likely to be used in the incident control process?
– How is access to the Configuration Management status data controlled?
– If the change does involve a usq, has it been approved by doe?
– Are the relationships between configuration items established?
– Which incidents should be logged by the service desk?
– Where do we stand currently against the standards?
– Do the benefits of the change warrant the costs?
– What are configuration items, baselines, etc. ?
– Was the technical review adequately performed?
– If yes, has the usq review been completed?
– Is the change necessary, and if so, why?
– What is the last mile connectioin?
– What goes under version control?
– Does the change involve a usq?
– Implemented as proposed?
– What work is involved?
Continuous delivery Critical Criteria:
See the value of Continuous delivery engagements and improve Continuous delivery service perception.
– A competitive edge, excellent. Focus on continuous delivery. Move on to continuous deployment because that is going to provide your business value. But look at your individual business. Look at your environment and say is that what gives us the competitive edge?
– How do we know that any Information technology operations analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Information technology operations leaders?
– Does your organization run a Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) process?
– Are assumptions made in Information technology operations stated explicitly?
– Does your organization hope to achieve continuous delivery?
Continuous integration Critical Criteria:
Value Continuous integration quality and attract Continuous integration skills.
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Information technology operations project?
– How do we Improve Information technology operations service perception, and satisfaction?
– Will we use Continuous Integration?
Database administrator Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Database administrator risks and reduce Database administrator costs.
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Information technology operations ?
– How do we Lead with Information technology operations in Mind?
Event monitoring Critical Criteria:
Talk about Event monitoring governance and know what your objective is.
– Think about the people you identified for your Information technology operations project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– What are the short and long-term Information technology operations goals?
– Do you have log/event monitoring solutions in place today?
– Why should we adopt a Information technology operations framework?
Help desk Critical Criteria:
Model after Help desk risks and perfect Help desk conflict management.
– The offeror will describe its service levels for fixes, help desk, etc. will it reduce its fees if the service levels are not met?
– How do we ensure that implementations of Information technology operations products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– Expose its policy engine via web services for use by third-party systems (e.g. provisioning, help desk solutions)?
– Complement identity management and help desk solutions with closedloop import and export?
– What are the barriers to increased Information technology operations production?
– What features of the current help desk service management tool are being used?
– How has the current help desk service management tool been customized?
– Do we know the number of password problem help desk calls per month?
– What is the current help desk service management tool and version?
– Have all basic functions of Information technology operations been defined?
– Help desk password resets easily measured (specific number?
– How will the offeror provide support through the help desk?
– Number of password problem help desk calls per month?
– How does the help desk authenticate callers?
IT asset management Critical Criteria:
Canvass IT asset management leadership and revise understanding of IT asset management architectures.
– Deciding what level of hardware in the system is a decision process such as: is the cost or risk of loss with a usb cable, a tablet or a mouse sufficient to require tracking? Have we decided on the detail level?
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Information technology operations workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– What are the key differences for us between asset management and Service Management?
– What assets are being used with it (software, components)?
– What happens with your retired or disposed of assets?
– Are we prepared to respond to a software audit?
– What would it cost to replace our technology?
– Can we quantify our compliance risk exposure?
– What are significant events about it?
– What is the condition of the asset?
– Have your assets gone into hiding?
– Do we know ho owns every asset?
– How about your mobile assets?
– Which assets need managing ?
– Why do it asset management?
– What is the configuration?
– What is an itam program?
– Who/what depends on it?
– What is an it asset?
– Who is using it?
IT governance Critical Criteria:
Deliberate over IT governance adoptions and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough IT governance results.
– In the case of a Information technology operations project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Information technology operations project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Information technology operations project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– Policy compliance is closely related to IT governance. Compliance has much to do with defining, controlling and governing security efforts. How should an organization respond to security events?
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Information technology operations values?
– what is the difference between data governance and it governance?
– How can skill-level changes improve Information technology operations?
IT infrastructure Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on IT infrastructure risks and create a map for yourself.
– Can we achieve even more efficient utilization of software and hardware within mission systems and IT infrastructure investments?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Information technology operations project manager?
– What IT infrastructure do we have and what do we need to support the future organization needs?
– In which area(s) do data integration and BI, as part of Fusion Middleware, help our IT infrastructure?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Information technology operations Management?
– How to get alignment between business strategy and IT infrastructure?
– How can the value of Information technology operations be defined?
IT service management Critical Criteria:
Distinguish IT service management visions and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough IT service management results.
– So you have designed a great process, have invested in a slick itsm tool and paid your consultants for the best advice you could purchase. What makes you think anyone is actually going to follow the new processes after you close up the project and take down the posters?
– In your organization, which group oversees/coordinates your it Service Management capabilities?
– What are our key differences between ITAM IT asset management and ITSM IT service management?
– What continuity plans are in place for recovering data, infrastructure and applications?
– What does each software asset cost now and throughout the upgrade or refresh cycles?
– What challenges and opportunities does cloud computing present for IT Service Management ?
– Does the current environment support the business and functional requirements?
– What are the use cases that your org is targeting currently for its CMDB/CMS?
– Can the cloud service provider make available an endto-end continuity plan?
– How does mobility improve your organizations service desk effectiveness?
– Is the cloud service providers service desk local, onshore or offshore?
– Who is most likely to drive it Service Management organizations?
– Are you thinking about implementing ITIL standards based tools?
– Do you have a single view into it Service Management?
– Do you have a growing list of overdue incidents?
– Which software markets will SaaS disrupt?
– What is meant by it Service Management?
– What is A good cloud service provider?
Information technology Critical Criteria:
Categorize Information technology quality and get out your magnifying glass.
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– Does Information technology operations create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
Infrastructure as Code Critical Criteria:
Recall Infrastructure as Code outcomes and check on ways to get started with Infrastructure as Code.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Information technology operations? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Is maximizing Information technology operations protection the same as minimizing Information technology operations loss?
– What is the source of the strategies for Information technology operations strengthening and reform?
Issue tracking system Critical Criteria:
Talk about Issue tracking system strategies and separate what are the business goals Issue tracking system is aiming to achieve.
– Does the Information technology operations task fit the clients priorities?
– What are specific Information technology operations Rules to follow?
Maintenance, repair and operations Critical Criteria:
Detail Maintenance, repair and operations results and stake your claim.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Information technology operations strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Information technology operations strengthening and reform actually originate?
Network administrator Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Network administrator risks and integrate design thinking in Network administrator innovation.
– You work as a network administrator for mcrobert inc. the company has a tcp/ip-based network. which of the following information should be documented to facilitate disaster recovery?
– What are all of our Information technology operations domains and what do they do?
Network switch Critical Criteria:
Accumulate Network switch risks and ask questions.
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Information technology operations with what users do day-to-day?
– Is Information technology operations Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
– Who sets the Information technology operations standards?
On call shift Critical Criteria:
Categorize On call shift risks and describe the risks of On call shift sustainability.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Information technology operations experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Information technology operations delivery for example is new software needed?
Operations management Critical Criteria:
Be responsible for Operations management visions and get the big picture.
– What are the most important capabilities we consider when evaluating asset and Service Management providers?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Information technology operations that make it risky?
– Have the types of risks that may impact Information technology operations been identified and analyzed?
– Do we have a high level of process automation connecting our asset and Service Management?
– What threat is Information technology operations addressing?
– Is our company developing its Human Resources?
Software build Critical Criteria:
Confer over Software build governance and handle a jump-start course to Software build.
– Does Information technology operations appropriately measure and monitor risk?
– Are we Assessing Information technology operations and Risk?
Software deployment Critical Criteria:
Frame Software deployment goals and prioritize challenges of Software deployment.
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Information technology operations opportunities costing us money?
– How do we go about Comparing Information technology operations approaches/solutions?
Software development process Critical Criteria:
Frame Software development process outcomes and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Software development process is getting what it needs.
– Where does User Experience come from, what does it add to the software development process and what methods are available?
– Is there any existing Information technology operations governance structure?
– How would one define Information technology operations leadership?
Software release life cycle Critical Criteria:
Mine Software release life cycle planning and give examples utilizing a core of simple Software release life cycle skills.
– How likely is the current Information technology operations plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– Think of your Information technology operations project. what are the main functions?
– Are there Information technology operations problems defined?
Software testing Critical Criteria:
Jump start Software testing quality and finalize the present value of growth of Software testing.
– Are accountability and ownership for Information technology operations clearly defined?
System administrator Critical Criteria:
Frame System administrator decisions and find out what it really means.
– If the firewall runs on an individual host for which all users are not trusted system administrators, how vulnerable is it to tampering by a user logged into the operating system running on the protected hosts?
– Is the Information technology operations organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– How can you measure Information technology operations in a systematic way?
– Do we have past Information technology operations Successes?
– Who is the System Administrator?
Technical support Critical Criteria:
Boost Technical support engagements and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Technical support.
– What alternatives do the vendors offer for contacting technical support (e.g., email, telephone, online chat, and web-based reporting)?
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Information technology operations goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– If technical support services are included, what is the vendors commitment to timely response?
– Is Supporting Information technology operations documentation required?
– Are there Information technology operations Models?
Test automation Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze Test automation engagements and explain and analyze the challenges of Test automation.
– How will you know that the Information technology operations project has been successful?
– What are the long-term Information technology operations goals?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Information technology operations Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Information technology operations External links:
Senior Director, Information Technology Operations – Lever
Information Technology Operations Management Homework …
Configuration management database External links:
ITIL Configuration Management Database | CMDB Software
Purging the Configuration Management Database – Symantec
UCMDB: Configuration Management Database of IT assets
Continuous delivery External links:
Continuous Delivery | Chef
Continuous Delivery – CA Technologies
London Continuous Delivery (London, England) | Meetup
Continuous integration External links:
Continuous Integration – Scaled Agile Framework
Continuous Integration & Deployment – Semaphore
PHPCI – Continuous Integration for PHP Projects
Database administrator External links:
Database Administrator | CourseFinder
Database administrator Jobs in All Australia – SEEK
Database Administrator | Rail Career Pathways
Event monitoring External links:
Critical Event Monitoring – SYNERGY IT
ECG Scanning Cardiac Event Monitoring and Holter Monitoring
Windows PowerShell 2.0 – WMI Event Monitoring
Help desk External links:
M-Files Support – Powered by Kayako case Help Desk Software
Help Desk Software & Live Chat | LiveAgent
Help Desk Software HESK – a free PHP help desk
IT asset management External links:
IT Security Standard – IT Asset Management
IT Asset Management Policy | IT Inventory Management
IT Asset Management Software – Track SW & HW assets
http://Ad · freshservice.com/Asset-Mgmt
IT governance External links:
IT governance in SharePoint 2013 – technet.microsoft.com
IT Governance Manager – Evojobs
IT Governance, Risk and Compliance (IT GRC) – PwC
IT infrastructure External links:
Netsol | IT infrastructure solutions | Melbourne, Sydney
Audiovisual and IT Infrastructure across Asia – Principle One
IT Infrastructure Services: Information Management Integration
IT service management External links:
Remedy 9 – IT Service Management Suite – BMC Software
IT Service Management Software | Software Asset & Service
Customers | ASG IT Service Management that Exceeds
Information technology External links:
Dialog Information Technology
Information Technology Professionals Association
UCA VicTas – Information Technology Services
Infrastructure as Code External links:
Infrastructure as Code Meetups – Meetup
Infrastructure as Code whitepaper – d0.awsstatic.com
C suite must champion Infrastructure as Code – Cisco
Issue tracking system External links:
0004573: Unused JS libraries – Openbravo Issue Tracking System
Pep Boys Issue Tracking System
Issue Tracking System – Project Management Tool
Maintenance, repair and operations External links:
Maintenance, Repair and Operations | Weiler
Network administrator External links:
Network Administrator – Jobs – Good Gear Guide Australia
Occupational Video – Computer Network Administrator
Network Administrator Salary (Australia) – PayScale
Network switch External links:
Ethernet PC Network Switch – Cable Chick
HS5 SeaTalkhs Network Switch | Raymarine
NetGear GS105 Network Switch Deals & Reviews – OzBargain
On call shift External links:
ERP On Call Shift | ERP Screenshot
On call shift – broomo2.revolvy.com
http://broomo2.revolvy.com/topic/On call shift&item_type=topic
Operations management External links:
Workforce & Operations Management Software | VAIRKKO
vSphere with Operations Management – VMware
Operations Management Suite Experience Center
Software build External links:
Software Build – Datacom
Software Build Automation with Jenkins – YouTube
The term build may refer to the process by which source code is converted into a stand-alone form that can be run on a computer or to the form itself. One of the most important steps of a software build is the compilation process, where source code files are converted into executable code.
Software deployment External links:
Indigo Rose – Software Deployment Tools for Windows Developers
Software Deployment with SaltStack • Conetix
Sophos Central: Software deployment methods – Sophos Community
Software development process External links:
What is the Software Development Process? – Computer Hope
What is Google’s software development process? – Quora
Software Development Process – Program-Ace Company
Software release life cycle External links:
SCFT-Training v 10.0 | Login | Software Release Life Cycle
Software release life cycle for Kids – Kiddle
Software release life cycle Archives – Smartphone Shop
Software testing External links:
StickyMinds | Software Testing & QA Online Community
Vansah ™ Software Testing, QA & Monitoring | TestPoint
Software Testing Tools & Project Management – Inflectra
System administrator External links:
system administrator exam | ServiceNow Community
What is System Administrator? Webopedia Definition
System Administrator – nswhealth.erecruit.com.au
Technical support External links:
Contact QK Support | QK Technical Support
Technical Support l Aussie Broadband
Technical Support Purchase Page – NCH Software
Test automation External links:
Reviews for Software Testing and Test Automation Tools
Market Guide for Mobile App Test Automation Tools – Gartner
Test Automation Summit Singapore – Testingmind